Waushakum Live Steamers
The Waushakum Live Steamers club exists to promote interest in and knowledge of steam locomotion, especially on rails. It is open to all who have a sincere interest in the subject. The primary activity of the club is to maintain an outdoor track, where members can operate scale steam locomotives. The present track accommodates equipment in 1″, 3/4″ and 1-1/2” to the foot scales (1/12 and 1/16 and 1/8 of full size). These engines will pull the engineer and several passengers on riding cars.
The club owns several locomotive, which will be used as tools for teaching safe and successful operating procedures to all members. Qualified members may than operate them for practice.
The Waushakum club was founded in 1954. An elevated track of 3.5″ gauge was built in Ashland Massachusetts, and inaugurated in 1956. Under the leadership of George Hildreth, the club built a new track in Holliston, MA in 1970, where it remained until August 1996. See a more detailed history in our history page.
Following the 1996 August meet at the old Norfolk Street track, the facilities were disassembled and transported to Arthur St., the new club site. The new property consists of some 26 acres with both wooded area and a field. Already in service is a 1,200′ loop of 3-1/2, 4-3/4 gauges (elevated track), there are also a two loops, one within the other (1,300′ each), of 7-1/4 gauge, (ground) track. The elevated rail is approximately 30 inches above ground level. The new facility is only about 5 miles from the old track.
An expansion of the high line track, extended its length to about 2600′ with a covered bridge and trestle. The ground line has a beautiful tunnel and an extension off of the original loop out into the wilderness division through the tunnel and return back again, linking into the current track. The main line is about 3,500′ and will soon be extended by a switch to the inner look and crossover back to the main line.
First Runday at the second new home of Waushakum Live Steamers at Norfolk St in Holliston, Mass. The lineup includes, left to right: Trowbridge Bent, George Hildreth, Percy Cone, Larry Blank, George Dimond, Tom Otis, Capt Child, Al Giffin, Bill Van Brocklin, Arthur Butler. Larry Blank gave George Hildreth the idea to build the small covered bridge at Norfolk St. track site. Photo by Arthur Butler, 16 November 1969. From the Pat Fahey Collection.