From The North American Live Steamer, Volume 1, Number 4
I am enclosing two photographs of my free lance engines which I built.
I spent about 2500 hours on each one of these engines, made my own patterns and had nothing done at the foundry.
I have three cars and a caboose, and 800 feet of track. The engine weighs about 1200 pounds. The front engine is 2-4-2, the rear 2-2-2 on the photo.
- Length 10 feet
- Height 31 inches
- Gauge 10-1/2 inches
- Boiler Pressure 150 pounds
- Cylinder Diamater 2-1/2 inches
- Steam Brakes
- Boiler has twenty-five one inch copper flues
- Two Injectors and crosshead pumps
- Turbo generator for lights
- Free lance Stevenson Valve Gear
- Boiler Pressure 200 pounds
- Seven 1-1/4 inch flues, all welded
- Joy Valve Gear
- Length 10 feet 6 inches
- Height 31 inches to top of stack
- Steam brakes
- Two INjectors, axle water pump
- Speed about 30 m.p.h.
- Onan Short
- 161 East Main St.
- Luray, VA