Annetta Valley & Western Railroad
From Terry McGrath, 2 July 2013:
- Ron Paddock, a charter member of the AV&W, and one of three who began construction on the railroad in 1971, passed away today, suffering from an extended illness. Ron, Paul Beverung and myself started the railroad, and the three of us celebrated the finishing of our first loop of track that summer. Ron insisted in taking a "first" run during the middle of a summer rain storm, with me standing inside the depot looking out the window! Ron was a helicopter pilot serving with Paul during Vietnam and was an avid fan of the Erie Railroad, collecting many Erie locomotives and rolling stock. He had a positive attitude and was one of the most friendly people I ever knew, always willing to help with any project until he became ill. He attended his last meet during the 40th anniversary meet (2012) where the RON PADDOCK TRANSFER was named after him. Funeral services will be held at the National Cemetery in Arlington after the July Fourth holiday. So long old friend! We'll see you later at one of those heavenly train meets.
John Smyth running his Pacific at the Annetta Valley & Western Railroad. This was taken in the late 1970's on the earliest version of the AV&W. John's son, Carrie, is in the white short-sleeve shirt. Terry Shirley is in the blue shirt taking the photograph. Photo provided by Terry Shirley.
Kenny Rhodes at the throttle of a Koster's Miniature Railroad Supply diesel. Photo by Tom Stamey.
- Mary Ann's Creek is named for Mary Ann Beverung, wife of Paul Beverung, co-founder of the AVWRR
- Terry Town Station is name for Terry McGrath, co-founder of the AVWRR
- Paddock Transfer is named for Ron Paddock, co-founder of the AVWRR
- Grizzly Flats siding is a nod to Ward Kimball's Grizzly Flats Railroad
- Pickard Crossing is named for Roy Pickard, founder of the Comanche & Indian Gap Railroad
- Nussbaum Gorge is named for Matt Nussbaum
- Lake Louise is named for Louise Gray, wife of Bob Gray
- Gray Yard is named for Bob Gray
- Maddox Junction
- Stamey Loop is named for Tom Stamey
- Biscuit Junction
- Rio Vista
- El Dorado
- West Fork
- Lucks Engine House is name for Jack Lucks
2002 Website Gallery
These photos were extracted from the 2002 version of the club website, from Archive.org.
Filmed on September 3, 1988 at Annetta Valley & Western Railroad.