Adrian Buyse was a model railroader with broad interests, including O-guage, 1 inch scale live steam, and railroad photography. He was employed by Kodak and worked in the advertising department. He was instrumental in the early organization of the National Model Railroad Association.
RR Photographer - Dr. Adrian Buyse, KO (Kodak) Advertising, has taken thousands of railroad pictures, many of which have appeared in railroad magazines. Often he shoots at a distance to scale the subject down to O-gauge. Here he compares wheels of his Ferrovia line car with its prototype. A purist, who wants things right to the last detail, it sometimes takes him a year to complete an engine. A pioneer model railroader, he is past secretary and president of the National Model Railroad Association and was one of the founders of the Model Railroad Club of Rochester. From "Kodakery", February 3, 1949
Roundhouse Talk - When you get a group of model railroaders together you might as well keep still unless you, too, talk shop. Dr. Adrian Buyse; Fred German, of KO (Kodak) Advertising; Howard Kirby, KO Sales, and Dean Reynolds, above, compare their O-gauge and HO-gauge engines and cars. The engines are their true prides
Buyse's pike is known throughout the country as the Ferrovia (Latin for iron way), and his workroom, the Ferrovia Shops. A freelancer, his engines and line follow the general prototype of the New York Central but he has made some changes to establish individuality.
The Big Apple Line
by Percy Pierce
The Miniature Locomotive, May-June 1953
The annual meeting of the Pennsylvania Live Steamers was held at the secretary's home on January 25, 1953 at which time plans were formulated for extending the trackage of our layout toward the club house. The new officers elected were:
President, Adrian Buyse; vice-president, J. Harold Geissel; treasurer, Kenneth Souser; secretary, Percy Pierce.
Adrian's model railroad activities follow:
- 1936-1941, President of the Model Railroad Club of Richester, N.Y.
- First 5 years, Editor of N.M.R.A. Bulletin
- 1940, Secretary of N.M.R.A.
- 1943, President of N.M.R.A.
- 1947, President of Niagara Frontier Region of N.M.R.A.
- President, Chairman Honors Committee of N.M.R.A.
- "When the Big Apple Line Ran in Easttown Township"
- "50 Years of the NFR 1947-1997"
- "Kodakery", February 3, 1949
- "Twenty Years Ago: Reflections on the BLS Nation Meet", Adrian Buyse, "Live Steam Magazine", June 1972
- "Way Back When, Adrian Buyse, Early years of the Brotherhood of Live Steamers activity, Live Steam Magazine, September 1972
- "Super Hudsons", Adrian Buyse, Drawings and elevations, Live Steam Magazine, February 1973, March 1973, April 1973
- "Highland Valley Railroad Part 1", Adrian Buyse, Layout description, Live Steam Magazine, May 1974, Part 2 June 1972
- "NYC Favored Baker", Adrian Buyse, Baker Valve Gear article, Live Steam Magazine, September 1976