From the slipcover of Large-scale Model Railroading:
- Model railroading in all scales has always been a hobby for Bill Koster. First introduced to Lionel trains as a child and then modeling in O, HO, OO, S and N gauges, Bill turned to 1-1/2" scale in 1962 by purchasing a pair of trucks. The trucks were used for a gondola, followed by a 4 wheel switcher. He started building his railroad in 1968 and started a business of supplying large-scale model railroad parts in 1970. His full-time occupation is as an electronics technician. Bill resides in Homestead, Florida with his wife Alice and their children, Warren and Candice.
From Large-scale Model Railroading, page 3:
- In 1962 there was no live steam club in the state of Florida. We were not aware of a publication that could assist us along the way. We had not even heard of the "Brotherhood of Live Steamers."
Tidbits From Chaski
- The 5.5hp Honda gas engine coupled to an Eaton model 7 pump was first done by master builder Bill Koster.
- Back in the early '80s, I bought 24V Westinghouse motors from Koster (now CannonBall and further divided into MDM Locomotive Works) that used to be surplus aircraft engine starters rewound for use in his 1.5" engines. In Koster's design, the motors fit in-between the wheels and against the axle.
- Most of the Cannonball line is from Karlson KMP. Cannonball also bought out Koster Supply from Bill Koster around the same time. Since then Cannonball has added some other products.
Bob Fink's early oil electric at Bill Koster's track at Homestead, Florida, 1980. Photo by Raymond Heaton III.
Footage of Bill Koster's Homestead track, along with some words from Bill
- "Large Scale Model Railroading", Thomas A. Hill, Wilfred Christian Koster, Koster's Miniature Railroad Supplies, 1978, 138 pages
- "Live Steam in the Sunshine Region", Wilfred C. Koster, Live Steam, Apr 1970
- "Riverside & Great Northern: 50th Anniversary Celebration", Wilfred C. Koster, Live Steam, Sept/Oct 2003
- "Memorial Steam Meet in Decatur: Kenny Davis' Railroad", W.C. Koster, Live Steam, Sept/Oct 2006
- "Golden Screw Ceremony at the L.O.H. & S", W.C. Koster, Live Steam, Jan/Feb 2007
- "Northeast Florida Live Steamers and Railroaders, Inc.: Culmination of a Dream", Wilread C. Koster, Live Steam, Sept/Oct 2007